Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Farewell to my beautiful Grandmother

My sweet Grandmother at her 100th birthday

Last Tuesday, my sweet Grandmother, Dorothy Griffin Wyatt, went to be with her heavenly father. We had her funeral last Friday and although we were so sad to not be able to see her anymore, I know that she is laughing and smiling up in heaven with my Grandaddy.

At 102 years old, she was still sharp as a tack and just as witty as ever up until she passed away. The last time that I was able to see her was the weekend of Charlotte's baptism, right after Easter. She kept telling me how beautiful Charlotte was and that she was "the prettiest baby she'd ever seen." I'm so thankful that she was able to meet her.

I'm also so thankful to have been a part of her legacy. She was one of the classiest ladies I know. I'm so glad to have inherited her strong personality and confidence. She taught me how to be a gracious hostess, how to knit and crochet and to always use your "best china, crystal and silver" when entertaining. In fact, I inherited all of her sterling silver and I love using it and knowing that she loved to use it as well.

My grandmother was born with her twin sister, Ruth, on July 8, 1910. To know that she would have been 103 in July just blows my mind. She has seen so much in her lifetime! The Titanic hadn't even sunk when she was born!! She celebrated 65 years of marriage to my Grandfather, Joseph A. Wyatt before his passing 6 years ago. They had a wonderful marriage and life together that took them all over the world with my Dad and my Aunt as my Grandfather served in the Army Air Corps and later in the Air Force and then finally settling down in Alamo Heights in San Antonio.

One of my favorite memories of my Grandmother, was coming to her house for Thanksgiving. We would always spend that week there with my grandparents, cousins and aunt. She served a "jello salad" at every meal and one of her favorite games to play with me was "hot and cold." Although she was a very formal lady, she had a sensitive and loving heart. She also was never afraid to tell you what she thought!

I will miss her so much but I'm not sad... because she truly is now home where she belongs.

In our end is our beginning;
in our time, infinity; in our doubt there is believing,
in our life, eternity. In our death, a resurrection;
at the last, a victory, unrevealed until its season,
something God alone can see. -Natalie Sleeth
On Mother's Day 3 years ago

Putting her strand of pearls on me for my wedding day... she gave them to me as a wedding gift

Meeting Charlotte for the first time... she was 6 weeks old, 102 years apart!
 


1 comment:

  1. I love this post! She sounds like such a neat lady! Just like you! :)

    ReplyDelete

 
Site Design By Designer Blogs